Retreat to the Rainforest


Sometimes it feels good to be surrounded by people. Sometimes we need to be alone in nature. This week I definitely needed to be away from the world. Away from job, money, family, bills... the usual stressors. It was all gettin' to me.

The Olympic Peninsula is where I wound up. I skipped town for a few days, staying at the lovely Lake Quinault Lodge. And although I was in the midst of a rainforest, I didn't get wet once- it was sunny and mild the whole time. I spent my time walking around the lake, hiking along lush trails, eating, napping, and swimming in a super warm indoor pool. Ahhhhh...

It felt wonderful to reconnect with the softer side of life. The hikes were the best. Being among trees that are ages old is a humbling thing. Imagine the strength and flexibility one would need to live for that long. We could stand to learn a thing or two from the ancient forest.

The first morning I woke up and walked out to the gazebo on the lawn. I was inspired to write this poem:

Spring in the rainforest. Such a serene place to be alive.
Listening to the warbles, chirps, and lusty calls of many birds.

Lake is soft, a peaceful breeze keeps it gently moving, gently flowing.
Like the river it once was.

The fragrant air fills my lungs, as if I hadn't breathed in full 'til now.
Its scent a compromise of new and old.
The prior sharp, but subtle.
The latter gentle, but pungent.

Old and new rise up to meet in a swift handshake that, at the next instant,
appears never to have happened.

All is as it was.

Popular posts from this blog

Relaxing Piano Music

Yoga at the Bus Stop

Currently reading...